ASKING THE HARD QUESTIONS--PART I
SERMON TITLE: WHY DOES GOD LET THINGS HAPPEN?
SERMON THEME: DOES GOD CARE?
INTRODUCTION: WHY DOES GOD LET BAD THINGS HAPPEN?
· IF GOD IS NOT ABLE TO PREVENT EVIL, THEN HE IS NOT ALL POWERFUL.
· IF GOD IS NOT WILLING TO PREVENT EVIL, THEN HE IS NOT ALL GOOD.
· IF GOD IS BOTH WILLING AND ABLE TO PREVENT EVIL, THEN WHY DOES EVIL EXIST?
Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
as for me, my feet had almost slipped; I had nearly lost my foothold.
3 For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.
5 They are free from common human burdens; they are not plagued by human ills.
6 Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence.
7 From their callous hearts comes iniquity; their evil imaginations have no limits.
8 They scoff, and speak with malice; with arrogance they threaten oppression.
9 Their mouths lay claim to heaven, and their tongues take possession of the earth.
10 Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance.
11 They say, “How would God know? Does the Most High know anything?”
12 This is what the wicked are like— always free of care, they go on amassing wealth.
in vain I have kept my heart pure and have washed my hands in innocence.
14 All day long I have been afflicted, and every morning brings new punishments.
· EVIL AND SUFFERING IS CENTRAL TO THE STORY OF THE BIBLE.
I) LOVE IS A CHOICE
· FREE WILL ALLOWS YOU TO CHOSE LOVE AND OR TO CHOOSE EVIL.
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
· GOD CREATED EVERYTHING SO HE SHOWERS COMPASSION ON ALL OF HIS CREATION, WHICH MEANS NOTHING IS EXCLUDED.
The Lord is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and rich in love.
9 The Lord is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made.
GOD DOES NOT CAUSE YOU PAIN, YOU CAUSE GOD PAIN, BY THE CHOICES YOU MAKE.
II) SUFFERING IS A POSSIBILITY
22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.
· FOR EVERY ACTION OR FORCE, THERE IS AN EQUAL AND OPPOSITE FORCE.
II CORINTHINAS 1:5
5 For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.
· SUFFERING IS NOT EVIDENCE THAT GOD DOES NOT LOVE YOU.
III) SOMETHING BETTER IS COMING.
16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
· GOD SAYS YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SEE THE ANSWER, YOU JUST HAVE TO TRUST THAT GOD IS IN IT.
4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’[a] or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
· GOD SEES YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, AND HE IS PREPARING YOU FOR WHAT IS AHEAD.
CONCLUSION: GOD LOVES YOU, GOD CARES ABOUT YOU, AND GOD IS GOING TO BE THERE FOR YOU EVERY STEP OF THE WAY.
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,[a] whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.