LOSE THE LUGGAGE
Theme: love & forgiveness
Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
1. Most of us are far more bogged down with EXTRA BAGGAGE than we may realize
how many extra pounds of GRUDGES are you hauling around?
handbags of ANIMOSITY
flight bags of RESENTMENT
rolling totes packed
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires…, and greed, which is idolatry.
8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other…
a. Time to CLEAN HOUSE
· God says to let go of sexual IMMORALITY, impurity, LUST, evil desires…, and GREED, which is idolatry, ANGER rage, malice, slander, and FILTHY LANGUAGE from your lips
Colossians 3:9a …you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.
b. Live COMPLETELY for Jesus Christ....
2. Five qualities of PERSONALAL BEHAVIOR, of Godly attitudes we should adopt.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
a. We are to clothe ourselves with...
b. How do we do this?
· FORGIVE AS GOD has already forgiven us!
Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
3. FORGIVENESS Is A Sure Sign Of God’s Love For Us, A CLEAR VISION Of Our Faith In Jesus Christ.
a. You and I have the capacity to FORGIVE
b. Rather, WE have the ability to forgive
c. Over and over again in the Bible, God PROMISES His FORGIVENESS
You forgave the iniquity of your people and covered all their sins.
1 John 1.9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
4. We are IMPERFECT HUMAN beings.
a. TODAY is the day to RID ourselves of that useless junk.
b. What dead eggs do you need to toss in the lake so you can know the BLESSING of moving on with God and FULFILLING God’s purpose for you.
5. John Wesley said that phrase “PUT TO DEATH” means “to slay with a continued stroke.”
a. God’s transforming work in us is a pivotal event, a point in history, a specific moment in our life’s journey.
· It means we DIE to our old selves a little more each day, SHED a little more evil from our lives.
· TODAY God gives me a BRAND-NEW shot at getting it right!”
· TODAY is the day to rid ourselves of those dead egg, all the over-packed luggage we’ve been hauling around.
What a BLESSING! What a PRIVILEGE! What FORGIVENESS!
5. Return to that that airport luggage carousel & the suitcase crisis:
· Pick ONE PIECE of luggage from these lists in Colossians,
· And LOSE that luggage forever.
Colossians 3:14 – Above all, clothe yourselves WITH LOVE, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.